Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 7, 2011

"3"

Yes, the title is odd. It defines the number of times that I felt I could be happily involved in a long-distance relationship. Relationships are tough to begin with, so it takes an extra effort if you've made the decision to love from afar. I recall it as if it were yesterday when he advised me he was moving to Indianapolis. My heart was broken, but his cocky ass honestly didn't give a damn. He carried the "get in, where you fit in" attitude. I can only assume as I reflect back on those many years ago that he was excited about a new job opportunity. We tried the back and forth meet and greet sessions, but it became obvious that our relationship was strained. If my memory serves correctly, we were done in about 6 months or less.

Moving to Philadelphia seemed like the right thing to do at the time. We were so "in love" if that's what you want to call it. We worked together back in my days with Corporate America and began our telephone romance quickly. Weekend visits on both ends followed and it became heartbreaking each time we had to say our "good-byes". He proposed to me a year later and I accepted. (No, I've never been married, but I've lost count on how many proposals I've encountered. If it ain't right, it just ain't right! Listen to your heart!!!). I made the unfortunate mistake of moving in with him and that's when all the spontaneous slow dances in the supermarket ceased, and the resentment began. What a "hell" I found myself in. I'm always myself 100% of the time and it behooves me when other individuals are not. Do we still speak? Yes, when need be (only)!!!

"Third and final time" I said to myself. This is bullshit!!!Keep in mind what I said at the top of the post...It takes the "EXTRA" effort if you plan on being in a long distance romance. Also keep in mind, what you put into a relationship, is what you will get out of it! We dated for a year and the proposal came. I was delighted (again) as we began planning for our wedding, we were also working on some business acquisitions, which made things a bit bumpy for us. However, it doesn't take but a few minutes to make communication possible. Toni Braxton said it best "Seven Whole Days, not a word from you". Well in my case it was eight. On day 8 Mistah called and acted as if everything was still normal between us and advised me that we would be married in 6 days. Ummm, noooo, it doesn't quite work that way with me. Needless to say, I would rather lose a love than love a loser!

Lessons learned.....or did I really learn? There is a twist to this story called "3". Yet we have to allow time to evolve it. I know you despise my "cliff hangers" but I can't write what isn't there yet. Stay Tuned.

PSSST...

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. Sorry to hear about all of that. Slow dances in the supermarket? LOL! Sounds straight out of a movie. Be honest. How many people stared at that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a few Q, but I was in my zone. I didn't have a care in the world (yet).

    ReplyDelete